Sunday, September 30, 2012

Special Delivery

Can I just say that scheduled deliveries are the best! I guess it's because Sophie's and Lily's deliveries were completely opposite. Sophie came 5 weeks early, totally caught us off guard, water broke, instant contractions, rushing to get to the hospital at midnight, hospital didn't have my records, trying to explain to the Dr. on call who wasn't my Dr. my conditions, history, uterus problems, etc. all while in major pain and nurses forcing paper work on me. Luckily my Dr. was nice enough to come in at 1 am even though she wasn't on call and deliver Sophie cause she was really the only one who knew my medical records and history. It was a rushed, emergency c-section. When they got Sophie out the nurses rushed her away to the NICU to get her on oxygen and we didn't see her until 6 hours later.

Fast forward to Lily... I'd been having lots of contractions for weeks, my Dr. has had me coming in to see her every 3-4 days to monitor. Finally last Monday she said lets have a baby on Friday. Lily would be 3.5 weeks early but should be fine. Sounded good to me. I had an appointment for 9:30am and was just praying that we would make it to that appointment and it wouldn't be another late night surprise. The hospital called and said to come at 8am on Friday, we arranged to take Sophie up to Wendy's and dropped her off then drove calmly to the hospital to check in. It was so weird, no  pain, no contractions, no rush. They get us checked in, changed, met with my Dr., signed some forms, met with the anesthesiologist, calmly walked into the operating room and sat on the table, chitty chatted with anesthesiologist while he started the spinal, nurses set up the drape, my Dr. came in and we got started. Several minutes later I could feel them tugging and pulling Lily out. Dr. said wow she's bigger. Nurses take her over to the side of the room to wipe her down, get her weight and bundle her up. Chris went in to watch and brought her back to me and the 3 of us hung out while they finished up putting me back together. Lily hardly cried, she just sat there looking at us. It was so calm. Next thing I knew we were being wheeled back to our recovery room and Lily just hung out with us the rest of the day.

Dressed, IV'd and ready to go.


 
In the operating room getting set with the Anesthesiologist

Lily getting cleaned up


Getting to meet Lily

 
All done and back in our recovery room.
 

1 comment:

Val and Wendy Shumway said...

Lily does look a lot better cleaned up!