Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Barcelona to Seville

No blogging yesterday, didn't have time. In the morning we went up to Mont Juic, home of the 92 summer Olympics. It was crazy to see the plaza's and buildings that you vaguely remember from the games. The building where they held the gymnastics competition was called Palau Sant Jordi and I can hear Bob Costas' voice saying that in my head to this day. Anneka wasn't feeling well and with temps in the 90's and humidity in the 75% range we headed back to the hotel for her to rest. I went out and farted around some more. When we got back to the hotel though we had a bit of an issue with the housekeeper. When we travel it's common for us to use the bags that the hotels provide for laundry service to seperate our clean clothes from our dirty ones without ever having any intention that the hotel actually DO our laundry for us. Well, they snagged our bag and did about a dozen individual articles of clothes and the bill was $72!! Needless to say I whipped out my best "I aint payin' for that!" Spanish and laid down the law with them. Anywho we bid a fond farewell to Barcelona and headed to the airport for a flight on Iberia air to Sevilla. The flight was delayed by an hour but we eventually left and arrived mid day in Sevilla.

I went out and checked out the historic center of Sevilla since Anneka was again a little under the weather. It was hotter then crap and at times I thought I was going to melt. I think I was one of only a handfull of hardy souls daring enough to be out exploring in the heat.

Anneka was feeling much better tonight to we headed back into the historic center for the "paseo". Had dinner and gawked at the well lit Cathedral, the 3rd largest in all of Christendom - behind only St's Peter in Rome and Paul's in London. Tomorrow we'll head back to the area to actually go in the Cathedral since it was closed today. Also we'll hit the Alcazar, the King's residence designed with a heavy Moorish influence. We'll also pick up our rental car, the zippier the better, and in the early evening we'll take off for Cordoba.

My Spanish is coming along fine. Although this Spanish "theta" lisp thing is driving me nuts. It's as if they're taking perfectly understandable Spanish and tweeking it just enough to confuse me. Nevertheless I've not been duped yet.

No comments: